The Drop app is a loyalty reward app that pays you to shop and complete other simple tasks.
The best cash back apps are great for stretching your dollar over the extra mile. In exchange for making purchases you would normally make through the app, you earn rewards points you can redeem for free gift cards.
The Drop app review covers how to sign up, earn points, and whether Drop is safe.
What is Drop?
Drop is a reward platform that was founded in 2015 and is available to users in the United States and Canada.
The app has more than 3 million members who earn points when they shop through the app and can redeem their points for various rewards.
Drop is available on iOS and Android devices and is one of the most downloaded apps in the lifestyle category.
Since launching five years ago, Drop has paid its members over $16 million in rewards.
How to Join Drop
Signing up for Drop is easy and free.
- Start by downloading the app here ($5 bonus link). No promo code is required.
- After installing the app, link your credit and/or debit card to the app
- Start shopping as you normally do and earn points.
To become a member, you must be at least 18 years old and live in Canada or the United States.
How Does the Drop App Work?
Unlike cash back apps (e.g Checkout51) that require you to scan and upload your purchase receipts, Drop automatically tracks your purchases after you have linked your card.
Here are the 5 main ways to get rewarded on Drop:
1. Shop: The app is linked to more than 300 brands and retailers and when you make a purchase, you earn points.
2. Play an Arcade Game: Members are rewarded for playing various arcade games available on the App Store or Google Play. Some of the games offer up to $30 worth of points for playing and reaching specific levels.
3. Complete Surveys: Answer surveys from Drop’s partners and earn points. The points available from surveys vary and may or may not be worth your time.
4. Find Deals: Deals are an excellent way to earn extra points on the Drop app. Take a look at what’s being offered as they sometimes feature deals with hefty points.
5. Refer friends: When you join using our Drop referral link, you get a $5 bonus after confirming your email and linking a credit or debit card.
You can also invite friends. When they join via your unique Drop invite code, you both get $5 worth of points. You can refer up to 10 friends.
Drop Chrome Extension
Similar to the popular Rakuten app, you can now add Drop to your Google Chrome browser. This way you get alerted to cash opportunities whenever you shop online using your laptop or desktop.
The Google Chrome Extension for Drop is free to download and install.
How to Redeem Drop Points
There are multiple options for redeeming your Drop points.
In general, 1000 points are equivalent to $1. For example, you can redeem 25,000 points for a $25 gift card.
Popular redemption options include gift cards from well-known brands including:
- Best Buy
- Whole Foods
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Nike, and many more
The minimum threshold to redeem points is $25.
Is the Drop App Safe and Legit?
Since you will be linking your bank card to this app, it is important to know whether it is safe.
Drop uses bank-level 256-bit encryption to secure your account and personal information. This is similar to the security used by other financial technology companies including Acorns, Robinhood, and Mint.
Drop does not see your bank account balances and can only track your transactions using the app.
Also, Drop uses Transport Layer Security (TLS) to ensure that your data is securely transmitted to Drop and is not susceptible to interception.
Drop App Pros and Cons
Here are some of the benefits and downsides of using the Drop app:
Pros of Drop
- The app is free to download
- You automatically earn points and do not need to scan or upload receipts
- Can be combined with other cash back apps or credit card rewards
- Works for both debit and credit purchases
Cons of Drop
- The offers available may not be useful to you
- It can be challenging to reach the $25 minimum redemption limit
- There is no cash option. You can only redeem for gift cards
Alternative Cash Back Websites
While we are on the subject of cash back rewards, here are some other sites that pay you to shop:
Rakuten: Rakuten is the most popular platform for earning cash back when you shop online. The site is affiliated with more than 2,500 stores offering cash back offers anywhere from 1% to as high as 40%.
Stores featured on the site include Macy’s, eBay, Old Navy, Amazon, Adidas, Gap, Nike, Kohl’s, Levi’s, and several others.
When you sign up for Rakuten, you get a $30 cash back after making your first purchases of $30 or more. Cash back earned on Rakuten is paid out by check or PayPal.
Learn more about Rakuten in this review.
TopCashBack: TopCashback has more than 15 million members and offers cash back at more than 4,400 online retailers.
Your cash back is paid directly to your bank account or you can cash out using PayPal or gift cards. As per their website, members earn up to $345 on average each year.
Here’s a detailed TopCashback review.
Is Drop Worth It?
Drop is just one of the many cash back apps I use to save money every month. The good thing about it is that you earn rewards for purchases you already plan to make,
Also, you can stack your earnings by maximizing rewards from credit cards and uploading your receipts to rewards apps that pay you to do that.
The app offers opportunities to get free money, so why not try it out!