Pets are now treated as family members, which is why many pet owners rely on apps to find dog sitters.
Reports from Grand View Research show that the global pet sitting market size is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 11.52% from 2022 to 2030.
Make the most of this market growth by using dog sitting apps to make money. This is the perfect side hustle if you don’t mind looking after other peoples’ pets.
The Rover pet-sitting app is a popular option today as it has a huge database for pet sitters and users. Pet sitters can earn badges to show their special skills, like medical certifications and obedience training.
This app is highly recommended to both newbies and experienced pet sitters. It offers online resources to provide training for new pet sitters.
You can charge anywhere from $15 to $25 per hour from Rover, but the app keeps 20% of your earnings.
Wag is an excellent pet-sitting and dog-walking app to make money. One thing pet owners love about using this app is that they can track their pets whenever dog sitters take them for a walk using GPS. This also allows you to communicate with pet owners quickly.
Wag has many safety features, like its Wag! Tag where pet sitters can get essential information about the pets under their care after scanning a QR code.
You can earn up to $17 per hour from the app, but they will take 40% of your earnings.
3. Fetch! Pet Care
Fetch! is different from other dog walking and dog sitting apps. Pet owners don’t pick their pet sitter. Instead, they have to list the job and its requirements and will review applications to find the sitter best qualified for their needs.
You can earn at least $9 per hour from Fetch! plus tips, but you need to attend an orientation and have a meeting with someone from the company before you can start.
Care.com offers free membership but has limited features compared to the paid one. You can use this platform as an individual or business.
Sign up as a pet sitter with Care.com and earn anywhere from $8 to $11 per hour.
Petsitter.com is one of the best apps for dog boarding, pet sitting, pet grooming, and dog training. Anyone can use this platform but is recommended for pet sitters with a bit of experience.
You can earn around $10 to $15 per hour from Petsitter.com but would have to pay an annual subscription fee if you choose a paid plan.
Related: Legits jobs you can do while traveling.
PetBacker is the perfect app if you don’t want to take several tests before working as a pet sitter. List down all the services you offer, like pet boarding, dog walking, and pet sitting, and you can find customers fast.
This app has a service fee of 20% to 25% but lets you earn around $10 to $15 per hour.
7. SitterCity Pet Sitter
SitterCity doesn’t run background checks and displays badges on your profile to show your status.
Check the platform’s guidelines on how to create an appealing profile to increase your chances of finding clients. You can earn around $8 to $11 per hour on SitterCity.
8. Sniff and Go LLC
Sniff and Go is a San Francisco-based pet care provider. After going through a comprehensive interview process, you can work as a dog walker and earn at least $21.50 per hour.
You can also receive bonuses and tips from client referrals.
9. Bay Area Pet Pals
Bay Area Pet Pals is one of the best dog walking apps if you’re in the San Francisco Bay area. You can also offer other services, like pet sitting and dog boarding, using this app.
The average pay per month is around $500 to $2,000, depending on the hours you work.
Nextdoor is similar to Craiglist — it allows you to connect with the local community to find pet sitting and dog walking jobs. After signing up, create a profile that displays the services you’re offering and start finding customers.
Nextdoor is free, and you get to set your own rates. This is a great platform if you want to find customers fast without the need for any middlemen.
Pet sitters care for different pets while their owners are working long hours or away on vacation. They’re responsible for feeding and watering pets, playing with them, grooming their coats, and providing healthcare.
The period of time pet sitters provide services vary — they can sit someone’s pet for a few hours or several weeks.
Dog sitting is having a pet sitter go to someone’s house to look after a pet, similar to babysitting, while dog boarding is when pet owners send their pets to a facility or property and have someone watch over their pet.
On the other hand, dog walking is the act of walking a dog, usually from the dog’s residence, and then returning. Pet owners often use dog walking apps to find someone to walk their dogs if they get too busy.
How to Use a Pet Sitter App To Make Money
Having an account on pet sitting apps for cats and dogs is no longer enough to make money. The competition is fierce, so offer something unique to stand out. Here are some ideas:
- Offer boarding services: Pet sitters who offer boarding services earn double the amount. Ensure that you have sufficient space to board pets before offering this service.
- Utilize the algorithm: To become the top service provider in the best apps for pet sitting, answer requests and messages quickly.
- Take photos: Make it a habit to take pictures of you walking or sitting pets to show owners the level of attention and care you can provide.
- You’ll have the chance to look after pets and get paid for it.
- If you want to make a career from working with animals — say as a vet, zoologist, or animal nutritionist — using the best dog sitting apps to make money will look good on your resume. Bonus points if you can include satisfied customers as your references.
- Dog sitting apps can improve your organizational and time management skills, as some pets might need to follow a strict feeding schedule.
- Pet sitters have the luxury of working whenever they want.
- Spending time with pets helps manage depression and loneliness by providing companionship.
- Many people are using the best pet sitting apps to make money, which means work may be sparse. If everyone in your location is offering pet sitting services through these apps, your work opportunities might be limited.
- Some pet owners will require you to give medications to pets. This isn’t always an enjoyable experience, especially if the pet already knows how you’re hiding the pill.
- Pet owners can get fussy and will have unusual requests, from hand-cutting chicken into one-inch pieces to using white noise to get pets to sleep.
- If you’re pet sitting in your own home, you might need a car to pick up and drop off pets.
Offering services using dog-sitting apps is a great way to make money. You just need to use the right app and implement the right strategies to haul in more customers!
What is the best dog sitting app?
Rover is the best dog sitting app because it allows you to look for sitters that match you, your dog, and your budget. Rover also provides a safe and secure platform to book and pay for dog sitting services and offers world-class customer support.
Rover vs. Wag: Which is better?
The Rover app is better because the application takes less time, so you can start working sooner. Using Rover also keeps you more of the money you earn — the app only gets a 20% commission fee, while Wag gets 40%.
How much money can you make from walking dogs?
On average, dog walkers in the US earn $15.57 per hour.
What is the best pet sitting app?
Rover is still the best pet sitting app, as you can find sitters who’ll care for your dogs, cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, and other pets. It also has a reservation guarantee, so when the sitter you booked has canceled last minute, Rover will guarantee to find you a new sitter.
Is there an app for cat sitters?
Yes, there are now pet sitting apps for cats. Meowtel, for example, allows you to find and book trusted in-home cat sitters who are fully insured.
Is being a pet sitter worth it?
Yes, especially if you genuinely love pets. Being a pet sitter gives you the opportunity to travel and spend more time with pets while earning at the same time.
Related: Here are other ways to make money online and from home.